Thursday, October 1, 2015

Welcome!/A(Moderately) Brief Note About Why I Started This Blog

Thanks for visiting (even if it was by accident). Rather than just commencing to post stuff pretty much out of nowhere, I thought it might be helpful if I talk a little bit about why I started this blog. People like introductions, right? (I actually do not know the answer to that question but I'm going to go ahead and just keep plowing ahead anyway).

One primary reason is that I am trying to write. Like, actually willing myself to write stuff down. I have always despised writing. But the few times that I have written something that was not required as part of some sort of assignment it has usually turned out to be a very positive and cathartic thing for me. Writing helps me to organize my thoughts as well as provide an outlet for those thoughts (and feelings as well). This has long been a "goal" of mine but has never come to fruition. I have typically motivated myself to start writing with the following mental dialogue: Part A of my brain: "I should start writing sometime." Part B of my brain: "Yeah. I should start writing. That'd be a good thing." Part C of my brain (which is responsible for behavior): "Nah. I'm just gonna go ahead and watch Netflix instead."

Somehow, this time has been different and I have actually tricked that Part C of my brain to allow me to write stuff. Now, this probably won't last. So don't be surprised if in a couple of months this blog is more abandoned than that depressing, vacant lot in your town where the Circuit City used to be.

Now, as cheesy as it sounds and as much as it makes me sound like a friggin' millennial, the other primary reason that I started this blog is for community. I thoroughly enjoy the opportunities I have to engage in substantive conversations with people. Due to the fact that I am not a raging extrovert, I'm not exactly the type to walk the streets of northwestern PA attempting to strike up conversations with perfect strangers. That's creepy and would land me in jail (again) (just kidding. I've never been in jail. Only prison) (just kidding. I've never been to prison either). And since we are relatively new to Erie and not feeling terribly at home here, basically everyone is a stranger. Plus, you never really know what you're going to get wading into deeper topics of discussion with people that are new to you and vice versa. "Gee Frank, I can see you feel very passionate about circumcision. But remind me again how this is related to global warming? Actually, on second thought, don't. I'm just going to leave now."
So, rather than end up in prison by accosting strangers or being forced to have awkward circumcision-leads-to-global-warming conversations with people I don't really know, I'd much prefer to share my thoughts here in the hopes that it might lead to a conversation or discussion or dialogue with one of you (even if we haven't talked in years). So, if it suits your fancy, if you read something I post on here and have some thoughts about it, I'd encourage you to comment or email me or text me or whatever and we can share a dialogue. I even encourage criticism. Just please don't make me cry.
Thanks.

-Craig


No comments:

Post a Comment